Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Mighty Hercules and Boxy Roxy






We have 2 dogs - Hercules and Roxy. Hercules is mine and pretty much the bomb. Roxy is Stephen's and well let's just say we are working on it.

Herc's story: Shortly after Stephen and I got engaged I came home one day from work and Stephen had a surprise for me. The cutest little puppy I had ever seen was sitting in my living room! A few days before that Stephen and I had gone to the local pet shop to just look at the animals. Apparently I looked too cute with my face up against the glass talking to the cute little puppy, that Stephen decided I needed to have that dog! So there we are, in my Grandparent's living room (where I was living at the time) (Oh, note to the kids, always ask the owner of the home you are living in before you bring a pet home) with this amazing little rolly polly, all hair puppy that I can fit into the palm of my hand and it hits me: I am a dog owner. Let's just say I started freaking out. I can't take care of this dog! This little thing is going to be solely dependent on me for existence! I don't know anything about dogs! Then Stephen proceeds to tell me that he got there just in time, just after he told the pet store lady that he would buy our little puppy, a younger lady came in to pick out the exact same puppy, but not for herself, oh no, get this, for her elderly uncle who is lonely! (and of course, Stephen also includes the tiny detail that the young lady started crying when the store lady told her the puppy was sold. Thanks hun.) I decide that maybe we could take the puppy back, and the pet store could contact the other people and let the poor old man have the puppy. But apparently you can't just return puppies. So I slept on it (not Herc, but the idea of being a dog owner) and well 4.5 years later, I couldn't imagine my life without my little Hercules.

Hercules is a Pomeranian x Chihuahua. Oh yes, the 2 best breeds in the world made into one furious, needy 10lb guard dog. It took us a few days to come up with Herc's name. We wanted something original, something cool. We actually opened up the encyclopedia and looked under 'Hawaii' to try and find a cool name. Then one day Stephen looked at me and said "Hercules!" It was perfect.

Some of my nicknames for my baby are: Hercy, Herc Jerk, Jerky Herc, Little One, and Hercubees.

Despite what Stephen would say surprisingly about 90% of the people that meet Hercules fall in love. It takes a little time sometimes but he does have a way of winning over peoples hearts.


Roxy is Stephen's Boxer that he just HAD to have this summer. It was the first time Stephen actually put his foot down and said "I am doing this whether you like it or not" So I washed my hands of the decision, and have been able to rub it in his face ever since! During the whole buying a 2nd dog, a much bigger dog process I could never figure out why in the world Stephen would want to complicate our lives like that for the next 10+ years. Then it hit me one day. Stephen has only had farm dogs. The longest Stephen ever had a dog last on the farm was 4 years. Stephen honestly thought Hercules would be dead by now (as he is 4.5). He didn't realize that city dog's have a much longer life expectancy that farm dogs, longer as in 10 years longer. Unfortunately I didn’t' figure that out until after we had gotten Roxy. So kids, don't be surprised if mommy says No when you ask for a dog. But you may want to try Daddy. We will see if he has learned from his mistake, I mean, from Roxy.


It again took a while to come up with a name for Roxy. I did all sorts of research. I wanted to name her Phoebe, who was Hercules first wife, in the greek myth of Hercules. I am glad we didn't though, we have enough problems reminding them that Herc and Roxy are not boy friend and girlfriend. A common phrase heard around our house is "Remember puppies you are brother and sister NOT boyfriend and girlfriend". Nicknames I have for Roxy: the Beast, Boxy Roxy, Roxy the Boxer, Sweet Pea, Baby girl, ROXANNE (thats when she is in trouble, which is a lot), and Boxy. Stephen's nicknames: Pooker. (don't ask there is just no reason)


So here we are, the owners of 2 dogs and with a real life baby on the way. We are so weird. I have no idea how it got to this point. But I kind of like it.

No comments: