Friday, February 5, 2010

Home Birth here we go!

So we decided for baby #2 to do a home birth. I can't believe those words are even coming out of my mouth.
We have only been considering the home birth thing for about the last month, when our midwife brought it to our attention that we may not have a choice, since Linc came in under 5 hours. Having a first birth in 5 hours is considered fast, and when you take into consideration most second births come in at least half the time - we may not have time to get to the hospital. And as my midwife said, "Better to birth at home than in a car!"
It took a few weeks of really thinking it over, and switching my mind set from envisioning this baby being born in a similar hospital setting as Lincoln to what it would look like birthing this baby at home. But after a few weeks I decided, with Stephen saying he would back me up with whatever I thought was best, that yes, I wanted to try a home birth.
It just makes sense to me now. I have always believed that birthing is a natural process, not a medical procedure. I have read a lot about the history of birthing, and what happened to it when it moved into the Hospital and Dr's took over the delivery. Once you go into the hospital birthing is viewed as a medical procedure, when women have been doing this for thousands of years. And women around the world continue to birth, without hospitals, Dr's and modern techonology every single day. It is astounding how much your odds of having an epidural, major tearing, infant injury, c-section, ect increase when you birth in the Hospital.
I think I live in the best time to have a baby. I have to option of choosing a midwife and a natural home birth, but still have the miracle of medical technology and Dr's etc... available to me, in the small chance something doesn't go quite right.
I am suprisingly very excited to birth at home, now that we have made the decision to do so. To be able to just rest with my baby as much as I want. To not be interuppted in the middle of the night by nurses taking vitals etc... I think it will be an incredible experience.
Because of everything that I have read, learned, and experienced with my first pregnancy, and now my second, I have realized that I would love to be a midwife. If I could do anything right now, I would become a midwife. But I know its not the right season, especially since in Canada BC and ONT are the only places that offer training. Its a 4 year course, and would be quite intensive. But I am hoping, and trusting that at some point I will be able to take my training and do it. In the mean time, I might become a doula - just to see if I am really up for it!
So here's to you, my little baby, may birthing at home bring you into the world in the most peaceful and natural way possible!

1 comment:

celia said...

wow, cher...you are one brave girl. i think i'm proud to have known you :)