Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Soothing My Purse

Yesterday Stephen and I went to a store called eChildren to look for strollers. We didn't find a stroller but we did end up buying a Glider. As we were going around the store sitting in the different gliders, Stephen sits done in one, puts his head back and starts 'gliding'. Next thing I know he is pretending to hold a baby and 'shh' it. This isn't the first time Stephen has pretended to hold our baby, but this is the first time in public. I wanted to see how far he would go with it so I handed him my purse. Low and behold he puts it against his chest and starts rubbing my purses, or I guess, our 'babies' back. He then proceeds to look down endearingly at it and smile. This is about the point I took the purse away.

The very first time he did this 'pretending' was after we set up our crib. He walked over to our new crib, pretending he was holding our baby, put our imaginary baby down, tucked in all the covers nice and tight, gave our 'baby' a kiss on the forehead, whispered it some loving things and then just sat and stared.

Now the point of these stories is not to point out how bizarre Stephen can be. Even though in those moments I am laughing at how ridiculous he is, and maybe even a little concerned, I feel overwhelming secure in who the father of the my children will be. When we were young and foolish and deciding to get married at a very young age, one of the biggest factors in my committing to Stephen was that I knew with out a doubt that he would be an excellent father. Beyond excellent, he would be ‘one of those dad's’. You know, one of those dads who would give their children a childhood full of stories they can pass onto their kids. One of those dads who our kid’s friends will want to come over to just to play with Mr. Dombowsky. One of those dads who will turn off the tv and not just make the kids go play outside, but go with the kids outside and start adventure.

There have been and continue to be points in this pregnancy where I freak out, I doubt, and wonder if I am really ready to become a parent, to become someone’s mother. And the closer we get the more unsure I feel. But not Stephen, the closer we get the more excited he gets. His constant excitement for our baby is what reassures me that we will be ok. He has been my strength and my rock (wow that sounds cheesy) during this all, and I wouldn’t have any other person beside me. I really do feel honoured to be able to give Stephen the children he has always desired for, and I look forward to being married to the coolest dad on the block. Even if the coolest dad started out by soothing a purse in a children’s store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awww cher, that was so sweet! :)
(and not cheezy at all!) I can't help but be a hopeless romantic and it's fun for me to be living vicariously through cute married people like you :) Even though I don't know you as well as other people might, I am 100% sure that you are going to be an amazing Mom and you have nothing to worry about! Your little one is going to be very blessed to have parents like you and Stephen!
Thanks for the post about the "history of peanut" too! That's super cute and so special!
anyway, hope you're having a great week! Hope to see you next week when I come to work with Mom :)
-Hill :)