Thursday, June 10, 2010

beach baby

We are in Florida for 10 days for a bit of R&R. We have wonderful family friends who live in Connecticut but have a vacation home in Florida that they generously let our family use whenever we please.
This is the home that Lincoln took his first steps in, just over one year ago!
Today we took our little boys to the beach. Last year Lincoln, not even being able to walk, was unsure of the water. And heaven forbid he actually get sand on his hands!
This year, he walked curiously towards the crashing waves, with Stephen and my dad holding each hand. As i sat on the beach and watched, as they lifted him over the waves, i assumed he was overwhelmed, frightened, and would be seeing the three turn around any minute and come back in, so i could console my little boy.
How wrong was I! After a few minutes I grabbed my camera to snap a few pics. They come in and Lincoln says, "MUM! WATER! WATER! WATER!" pointing excitedly. "He loves it!", Stephen informs me, as Lincoln confidently turns back around and starts to head back into the ocean, whether my dad and stephen want to go back or not!
After being out there for a while Lincoln and I sat on the beach and let the waves roll over our laps as Lincoln discovered how much fun it was to so sand...at the water. He would wait until the waves came and then throw it as far as he could. Which usually resulted in landing at my toes!
Stephen was taking advantage of the amazing aggressive waves with his boogy board. He got his butt kicked by the waves, and has quite a few injuries to prove it. At one point a little boy was sitting by Lincoln and I, and Lincoln turned to him and said "Dad! Dad!" pointing at Stephen as he rode another wave in. He was so proud of how cool his dad was, mastering those waves!
It didn't take long for Lincoln to decide that yes, sand was annoying as it didn't come off your body easily, but was so fun to stomp down the sand castles Grandpa built. You know what else is fun? Rolling and laying and eating the sand!
You know what is not so fun? Telling your 2 year old its time to go!

It was a great first day. My little beach bum, just like his parents!

No comments: