Friday, August 27, 2010

A New Stage

We have entered a new stage of parenting. Long gone are the days of a pleasant, submissive, low maintenance little boy. Lincoln has begun his journey in what I assume are the terrible two's. Up until now I always thought, "really? what is the big deal with age 2? Why do I see moms snapping on their kids in grocery stores? Why can't they just keep their cool" Now I know. I have entered the club. I understand. And I apologize for judging.
It has only been lately, but i have become weary from parenting. It is 24/7, they are relentless, taking, taking taking. I can't remember the last time I was 100% alone. Unless you count when I ran into Superstore to buy Lincoln some Pedisure because he refuses to eat and only will drink milk. Not even my showers are alone time. I either listne to lincoln bang on the door the whole time, or let him sit in the bathroom and bang on the shower door for half the time.
I feel like I am really being tested as to who I am as a parent. And I have failed miserably on many occasions. I am not used to Lincoln's new whining voice he uses when he wants something when he is over tired. Even thinking about it in my head as I write this causes my blood pressure to slightly rise. How could one simple sound repeated over and over from someone grate you to the core? These last few weeks have been a huge challenge, feeling the growing pains of a new level of parenting.
He doesn't eat. He is sleeping in a big bed now, which means he comes into our room at least 2 times a night wanting me to sleep with him. He gets fixated on a certain toy every few days, and if we can't find it, the world ends. He wants what he wants and he wants it NOW. Never mind if I am in bathroom, trying to eat dinner, or feeding Jackson. (but never all 3 at the same time! My life isn't that crazy!)
I don't not mean to complain, but more to help me process that I am not a horrible mother, simply a mother in process.
That as much as Lincoln is learning everything in life, I am learning what it means to guide, teach, and discipline.

No comments: