Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pablum 101

Much to my dismay my sweet baby Jackson has made it very clear he is ready for real food NOW! I was in no rush to start him on pablum, and thought I would wait until he was at least 6 months if not a bit longer. But my dear boy would have none of that. This last week he has been getting very vocal and excited at the dinner table. He has been trying to grab at spoons and straws. He once pulled the straw out of Stephen's coffee frap and desperately tried to put it in his mouth.

The last few evenings we have been having watermelon for dessert, so I have been letting him suck on the yummy fruit. Last night he was happily sucking on my piece when I felt him close his gums tightly around it. I realized he was trying to bite my watermelon and before I knew it he was successful and bit a big chunk off into his mouth! I quickly pushed my fingers past his clamped jaw and started to fish out the piece. Well my oh my did that make Jackson angry! I have never seen Jack display any type of anger before but this was 100% anger as his face got red and he began to scream his frustration "I WORKED SO HARD TO GET THAT PIECE! ITS MINE!"

I felt so bad for the little guy I went out and bought the rice cereal and we tried it last night. It went fairly well. He kept grabbing the spoon and forcing it towards his mouth. He also kept shoving his fingers in his mouth while he tried to eat - Stephen thinks that he does that as he associates sucking to eating, so if he isn't sucking he isn't eating.

I definitely experienced some feelings of possessiveness when I realized jackson was ready and I was not. Why would he need anyone but me to provide for him? Why was I no longer enough? I feel like its all down hill from here - before I know it he will be ignoring me at the mall when he is with his buddies....

No comments: