Monday, March 1, 2010

Lincolns Vocabulary

So a phrase daily heard in the Dombowsky household is, "Bud, you gotta speak english!" Or, "Linc, I don't have a clue what you just said." I generally, agree or pretend I know what he is talking about when he natters away, trying so desperately to tell us his most recent observation or question. But sometimes I just have to let him no I have no idea what he is talking about.
Some of the 'issues' (and i use the word lightly, as he is only 22 months, give the kid a break!) we have is that he doesn't finish words:

pa = pants
da = dad
ca = clothe, car, socks, coke, coffee,
uh = up
ba = bath or ball
jew = juice
ap = apple

but for some reason the kid has mastered cheese, please, shoosh (soother), bye and of course mom and NO!.

And what surprises me even more is that he has no word for either of the dogs or his bottle. Two very important parts of his life!

He has recently added cow, sheep, and duck to his animal sound list. Even though we aren't sure where he learned the duck sound. Actually he uses the same sound in reference to any type of bird: Ca-ca!

As well, whenever he sees individual letters or numbers, usually in a book, he points to each one and says, "Day". They all make the same sound or have the same name!

We did figure out last night that he is speaking partial French, we are certain he said "ne sais pa!" I'm just glad that it isn't Korean (which I made sure of when we hosted a Korean student last month, she assured me he was not!)

No comments: